Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sleep Eater

Many of the Coulimore men have a genetic predisposition of falling asleep when they finally stop and sit down in the evening. They are hardworking men, so I suppose it is understandable that they would be sleepy when they are finally idle. My husband, Paul, has this trait. Try as he might, he only stays awake to watch his favorite t.v. shows about 50% of the time. I could probably apply the same percentage of wakefulness to movies watched after 8p.m. Once he fell asleep while watching a James Bond movie in the theater! (Of course, I have never let him off the hook for that one! I tease him about it at every opportunity!)

Last night happened to be one of those evenings, only with a funny twist. We had been channel surfing for a short while when I decided I wanted a cup of coffee. Since I was getting up, I asked him if he wanted anything from the kitchen. He replied that he'd like a slice of cake. I started the coffee and returned with a piece of cake, setting it on the table beside him. "Thanks, Babe," he says, but leaves the cake there, untouched. I didn't comment, but decided he must be waiting for some coffee to enjoy with it. A short while later, I look over and there he is, sound asleep on the couch, never so much as having nibbled on his cake. Brushing it off, I get my coffee, take possession of the remote and see what sort of girlie things are on.

A fair amount of time passes this way...it had to be a good half hour or forty-five minutes. Suddenly, without warning or obvious cause, Paul sits straight up (from a dead sleep, mind you) and immediately grabs his cake and begins shoveling bites in! Not a yawn or a stretch. No rubbing his eyes or looking around. Just straight from sleep to eating. I couldn't help but laugh out loud! He glances over me and mumbles around a mouth full of cake, "What?!?" He eats most of the cake in this fashion, then slouches back down and is back to sleep within minutes.

Maybe you had to be there...but it was so funny! My husband, the sleep-eater!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I can picture that so perfectly! Too funny.