Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Cup Runneth Over...Or Was It My Sink?


Everyone has seen, either in movie or comic strip, some variation of the classic childhood blunder of leaving the water on and flooding the house. Eloise is famous for flooding her hotel bathtub, and having a grand time in the process.


I had long held the belief that it was a fictional idea of some creative mind, and people thought it funny enough to recreate it in various circumstances. Silly me. I now believe the original idea was probably extracted from an actual event. Why the change of heart? Personal experience, last night, courtesy of my son!

It was 9 p.m. and we had spent a long day prepping for our kitchen countertop installation. I had just commented to my husband that our children had really been pretty good considering how distracted we were for the majority of the day. I left him with the tile saw buzzing, and went into our current house to put our cherubs to bed. I walk in with Jenna in my arms, take maybe three steps before I stop and comment, "It sounds like water is running". I glance at the closed bathroom door and my mommy warning bells go off. I set Jenna down and quickly proceeded into said bathroom. Sure enough, the water was running...it was running out of the overflowed sink, down the face of the vanity and all over the floor! I splashed over to the sink and find the drain clogged with grass. "Yep, that would do it," I think, chagrined. I turned off the water, unclogged the drain and began mopping up the floor. Then I happened to open a drawer in the vanity to discover the items within floating in about an inch of water. I spent the next 20 minutes in a flurry of activity...sopping up the floors and emptying the entire vanity while deciding what was now ruined and what could be dried and saved. Sometime in the midst of this, my son confesses with a small voice, "I may have forgotten to turn the water off." Hmm... MAY have??? I can't feel upset at him; I'm too busy averting catastrophe!

When all was said and done, not too much was lost. The bathroom was a little damp but not too bad considering. My optimistic side finds the silver lining by acknowledging the bathroom is now free of clutter and superfluous items, and I am thankful it happened in the old house and not the new! I just hope a lesson has been learned and that from now on all water in the house stays contained in its proper vessel!!!

No comments: