Friday, May 22, 2009

Deja Vu

I experienced deja vu yesterday, only this time I am certain I have been here before....

Ahhh, the school field trip to Fort Vancouver. I accompanied my daughter's fourth grade class as they toured the old fort and learned about its history. We saw animal furs, watched the blacksmith make a nail, observed a horse plow in action, and explored the grounds. We enjoyed a picnic lunch out in the grass on a perfectly sunny afternoon.

I had to chuckle inwardly, though, because it was such a different experience going as a parent rather than a student! To watch the dynamics of all the classmates; boys and girls on the cusp of adolescence. The girls were giggly and the boys were showing off. They would pose for their parents' cameras, but hide in embarrassment from a friend trying to take their picture. Each of them wanting to be cool and play a key roll in the fun going on around them. They vied for the attention of their peers...and the best seats on the bus!

It was both a fun day and an eye opening day. Our daughter is growing up FAST! We are on the brink of some big changes, and I mentally shake my head in awe of how quickly we have arrived at this stage. So I give myself this objective: May we make as many good memories with our kids as possible, because the days pass quickly!

No comments: