Monday, May 18, 2009

Don't Quit Your Day Job

One of the last times "Mamma Mia" came to Portland most of my family went to see it. All the women in the family enjoyed it, and the men came in about 50/50...50% enjoying it and 50% maintaining they went for their wife's sake :)

When it came out on the big screen we decided to give the men a break and make a ladies date to go watch it. However, all of us ladies have families and busy lives, so we never made it like we planned. We all vowed to wait and watch it together sometime on video.

We finally made good on our pledge a little more than a week ago. I wasn't sure what we were in for! It has been out a while, so of course I had heard lots of reviews and lots of opinions...especially on the singing talents of the cast. As I snuggled into my parents sectional I reminded myself to keep an open mind and not take it too seriously. After all, Mamma Mia is supposed to be silly fun with a new twist on some much beloved, catchy tunes; not an epic film contending for Oscar!

I won't go into a lengthy review of the film - I'm sure most of my blog followers have seen it so I will spare you from describing what you already know (and just in case you haven't, well I wouldn't want to spoil it for you!!) I will simply say that I found it to be a fun, colorful film. One that I wouldn't object to seeing again sometime. The young lovers were well cast. Meryl Streep seems an unusual choice for the lead at first, but she grows on you. Collin Firth is pretty stinkin' hilarious! However...(you had to know that was coming, right?) HOWEVER... Pierce Brosnan...oh my. I mean, yeah, he's Pierce Brosnan - modern day Cary Grant, former 007. He is charming and good looking. He is NOT a singer! Let me repeat NOT A SINGER. Painful? Would that the right word to describe his attempt? I don't know if that is strong enough. God bless the man, but he tries to pass monotone yelling off as singing in this film, and each time he sings it gets worse! My very sweet sister-in-law tried jumping to his rescue, commenting that she respected him for "just getting out and having fun, even when he knew he isn't great at it" and also saying, "Well...at least he seems on key." I love your supportive optimism, Andi! I, however, found myself speechless at his first attempt, and curled in a corner of the couch laughing so hard that I was crying by his last solo. What were the casting directors thinking???

This is becoming a lengthy posting, but I want to close by stating that overall I thought it was a fun film. Oh, and just a quick personal message to Mr. Brosnan: Don't quit your day job...Broadway will not be calling :)

1 comment:

Kari said...

Oh, Laura, you pegged it! That is EXACTLY how I felt. Fun movie - most of the characters grow on you - GREAT music and choreography - but Pierce??? What WERE they thinking? Ugh. I didn't know the storyline from the play (of course you know I'd written my own ABBA play in my head! nothing like it...ha ha) but it was beautifully set in Greece and Colin was my fav! When is he not, though :) Tim probably won't see it, so when you get around to watching it again, let's do it together - It's about time we have another girls movie night!