Friday, June 10, 2011

Memories...

Like the corner of your mind. Misty water colored memmmorrrrieeesssss of the way we were. Scatt...

er...

Am I the only one singing? Really?? Just me alone with Barbara in my head?

Well, that's embarrassing.

Today is a crazy birthday celebration day here at our place. It is my oldest daughter's 12th birthday (wow! How did that happen so fast?!?) as well as the class celebration for my son at school (since he has a July birthday). We have cupcakes galore, an ice-cream cake in the works, and a small handful of almost teenage girls descending on our house, with whispered plans of pulling an all-nighter. Should be fun :)

Today's photo challenge is about reaching back into our childhood memories - which was the cause of my awkward opening solo. It's a wide open subject, and I toyed around with a few different ideas, but in the end I found myself in the living room with my camera pointed at our old piano. It came into my life when I lived at home with my parents (already loved and used by some other family) and has since been played by me, moved into every home I've lived in as an adult, and been hours of entertainment for my kids.

It also reminds me of an ever present love of music. When I was a little girl and I would dance, twirl, and leap off my parents furniture while listening to 'long-haired music' (my childhood name for classical music). Or when my dad would make Sunday morning breakfast with the soundtrack to some classic Rogers and Hammerstein musical playing in the background. Or picking songs on the old juke box, watching the small black 45's turn around until the right one was lined up so the mechanical arm could reach down and swing the record into place. There's always been music.

June 10th - Childhood Memory


2 comments:

Kimberly June said...

Fantastic memory photo.

Valeria said...

Love the story. My family was also very musical... we use to put our old school black LP (long play) on the player and dance.
Those are the best memories as a child can have. Great post