Friday, April 24, 2009

Seriously???

I am going to interrupt my sarcastic basic cable rant (which I was prepared to continue today) in order to address a very distressing issue.
I am a huge fan of granola with yogurt for breakfast. Huge! That has probably been my breakfast 90% of the time for the last year. I love it. My current favorite combination is the Quaker all natural granola with almonds and raisins stirred together with Dannon all natural vanilla. Now, normally I buy the ginormous bag of granola from Costco and happily munch on it for a couple of weeks. However, I ran out this week and didn't want to make a trip just for the one item. I happened to be at Safeway, saw they had it on sale for a decent price, and decided to pick up a box to tide me over until I head to Costco again. Oh...and I see that they have a new low fat variety. Even better, as I am never one to ignore an opportunity to lower my fat intake. All is well and good.

NO! Not all is well and good! I open the box and am faced with acute disappointment! What did they do to make it low fat? They reduced the amount of granola and mixed in rice crispies and corn flakes. No joke. It is like when you're a kid and several boxes of cereal in the pantry have just a little left...not really enough for one bowl...so your mom combines them all together for the sake of not wasting. Can't you just hear the cereal big-wigs now? "Hey, I know. We'll take all the portions of cereal left over after packaging and combine them together in order to save our corporation money. Then, instead of worrying about introducing it as a new product, we will label it as a variety of an already well loved cereal. All that money will pay for our expensive VIP cruise!"

This is one product that I will never opt for low fat again!

3 comments:

dshymas said...

you know that rice crispies and cornflakes and liver and greens that you don't like makes you see better in the dark and grows hair on your chest.... not everything is about less fat ;^)

pops

Hymas Life said...

I think Costco has another kind we get that has pumpkin seeds, flack seeds, and a bunch of other good for you stuff. It taste really good and has lots of nutritional value. You should try it out. Andi could tell you the brand if your interested.

Gage

Kari said...

Oh, my dad TOTALLY did the combine-all-the-crumbs-of-the-left-over-cereal thing! I have vowed never to do that to my kids!!! FULL FAT GRANOLA ROCKS!!