Thursday, April 23, 2009

Entertainment

In the last six months or so, Paul and I finally broke down and subscribed to cable. Basic cable. Woo-hoo! We pretty much get the main channels (abc, nbc,cbs, fox) along with public access and the discovery channel. The discovery channel has been great. We have become fans of "Mythbusters" and "Dirty Jobs". Paul is really enjoying the latest season of "Deadliest Catch" (shout out to Mike Rowe for narration!) Discovery channel is the saving grace of basic cable.

I must confess that we have gotten sucked into some of the less noteworthy channels; one of which is channel 11. I don't know if it has a name or call letters. Most of the time it broadcasts random nothingness. However, a couple of nights a week it boasts unparalleled tv programming. Shows that leave you spellbound. Shows like "Strolling Down Memory Lane" with Billy and Willie.


Ah Billy and Willie. They are committed to ...how does their website put it..."hand clappin', foot stoppin', down south, Gospel Music". Their broadcast has to come from their in-home studio, which just happens to be located in Ridgefield, WA. They host random videos of random people singing from church or home. Occasionally Billy will play some "wild piano" - as his wife lovingly refers to it. It sounds like hymns rearranged into ragtime music - like something you would imagine coming out of an old wild west saloon. Recently they were persuaded by their 'many' fans that during such wild piano playing segments, the camera should be zoomed, for the entire duration of the song, completely onto the keyboard to show the skill of his big ol' hands at work. We are convinced that the old SNL skit of the church singers, featuring Will Farrell, must be based off of their program. Someone must've seen it once upon a time. It is hilarious! Most of the singing is painful, but they are oblivious. They feel they are doing an important work, and you can tell they take themselves quite seriously.

The icing on the cake is that I recently went to the Vancouver Costco, and who should I pass coming out as I was going in??? None other than Billy himself! A celebrity out among his people. No, seriously, I don't think anyone knew him but me, but I felt as giddy and flustered as if I had seen a true celebrity! I had to pull my shopping cart over and immediately call Paul. "You'll never guess who I just saw..." Priceless.

Feel free to experience the wonder for yourself. You can visit their website anytime : http://billyandwillie.tripod.com/

(PS In the off chance that someone is reading this who does not know me that well, please read above post with a due amount of sarcasm!)

2 comments:

Hymas Life said...

ohhhh man I tried to watch a little of this on their website lol... You guys need to get extended basic cable in a bad way!!! They sure have good on camera presence. Paul better bust out his guitar and start practicing his "Billy" style.

Kari said...

I still can't believe you didn't ask him to autograph your Costco receipt.