Friday, April 17, 2009

Priceless



Yesterday Ben came in the house, all rosy cheeked and wind-tousled, with a fistful of dandelions for me. It melts my heart to see the sparkle in his eyes and his sincerity when he tells me he picked them for me! It's priceless. It wouldn't mean more to me if it was a $30 bouquet. He saw something pretty, and thought of me. Sigh.

I once read that we give so much attention to the 'firsts' in our childrens lives, that we never pause to realize the 'lasts'. The 'firsts' should be celebrated, but I believe acknowledging the 'lasts' helps us to better live in the moment. Not to take things for granted. I love watching my children grow and mature, yet I treasure that today my son regularly tells me he loves me, unprompted. That when he sees a bright cheery flower, he thinks to pick it and present it to me...just to make me smile.

I don't think this is the last dandelion bouquet I will get from him, but one day it will be. For that reason, I am going to proudly display my flowers and thank God for each of my kids, just as they are today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I', just going to say......WOW, you can write! Touches my soul....each moment is so precious.

Hymas Life said...

Very sweet! I love those days as well. Talk about a warm fuzzy!! :)