Monday, June 29, 2009

Can't Believe Everything You See On TV

I was having a little bit of a lazy morning yesterday (as it IS summer vacation now) so I plopped down on the couch to watch a little TV as I ate my granola and yogurt breakfast. I paused on a channel showing an info-mercial just as Ben and Emily joined me on the couch. It was a very persuasive ad for an electric sweeper. Ben was immediately drawn in. "Mom. Look at that. We should get one of those," he says full of sincerity, then turns back to the screen to absorb more.

A few moments later, "Oooohhhh...it can clean up all sorts of things. I bet it would work good to pick up dog hair." It wasn't long before Emily joined him, "You SHOULD get one of those, Mom," followed by Ben's excited, "You buy one, you get one for FREE!!"

I couldn't resist asking, "So if I get one of those, you guys will clean for me?"

"Yes!" they both assured me.

I found this exchange so humorous that I had to find Paul and fill him in. I was in our room relaying the conversation only a moment before Ben burst in announcing to Paul, "Dad. Mom NEEDS to get the sweeper on TV. It can pick up vegetables and screws! Oh! And it bends, Dad. The handle bends so you can get under the furniture. I bet it would even get under our couch. You only pay $19.99 twice and you get TWO! Two sweepers, two batteries, and two extra small ones. We should get this, Dad." Paul was amused, but not persuaded. He told Ben we wouldn't be calling in to order, and that was the end of it.

Or so I thought. Today, as I was emptying out my bagless vacuum cylinder and shaking out the filter, Ben admonished me that it was too bad I didn't have that sweeper. If I had the sweeper, all I would have to do is push a button to empty it in the trash, and I wouldn't have the dusty job of shaking out the filter. It would be clean and easy with the sweeper. "Too bad you don't have it, Mom."

Yes, too bad indeed!

1 comment:

Kari said...

This made me smile and made my morning! Too funny and too true - The info-mercial is a powerful thing...scary!