Sunday, November 1, 2009

Water Memo

MEMORANDUM

DATE: Nov 1, 2009

TO: myself

FROM: myself

SUBJECT: Fire Hydrants and Water

________________________________________________________________________

One must never forget the power and capability of a fire hydrant when standing in its proximity. While it is true that a hydrant (when not in use) is a rather silent and DRY fixture, one must be mindful of the purpose for which it was created: immediate access to large amounts of fast flowing water.

This is especially true when using my camera to photograph my husband accessing a fire hydrant. It does not matter if the photos are for training purposes. When my husband advises me that water will soon be flowing out of said hydrant, and that I (and my very nice camera) should therefore move clear of the flow, I should quickly give a generous berth to the approaching stream of water. I should NOT take a few small steps to the side, thinking only about photography and the possibility of an exciting, close angled shot. No. Because water flow is not 100% predictable. There is a distinct probability that standing too close when the hydrant is opened will result in a thorough dousing of myself AND my very nice camera. Finding myself wet and scrambling for a towel to dry my camera before damage is done is not a desired or recommended outcome.

Please take a moment to study the photo below. Because this is what one sees when being hit by the cold spray of water from a hydrant. File it away and learn from it.


Can someone hand me a towel, please???

2 comments:

dshymas said...

Great shot... post this one on your fridge ;^)

Kari said...

I too tend to forget how wet water can be :) However, it is more along the lines of wet socks when my kids are taking a bath rather than wet camera equipment, so I feel for you!