Thursday, July 23, 2009

Maintenance

Okay, I have a confession to make. Our old house was pretty dirty when we finally moved out. We had been so busy with construction the last several months that things went undone. Thank goodness that my family (who helped us move) loves us in spite of dust bunnies!

Now that we are in the new house, it is my intention to turn over a new leaf and become a maintenance cleaner. I know that one of my weaknesses is being a procrastinator. In the old house, I would clean when it got messy. I would mop when the floors visually needed it. The same was true for dusting. Here, however, we have a fresh start and I intend to make the most of it! I want to clean to keep things clean; to never let it get to the dirty/dusty stage. I'm sure I will sometimes fail and sometimes succeed, but hopefully in the end I will have formed a new habit that keeps our home comfy and tidy more often than not.

In honor of my new motto, yesterday's goal was vacuuming and cleaning the bathrooms. As I was wiping down one of the bathroom sinks I was giving myself a pep talk about maintenance. That's when it occurred to me that the same principle applies to our spiritual life. Our relationship with God needs to be maintained. We need to spend time reading His word, praying, and getting to know Him in the easy times. That way when the hard times come we are established in His love; rooted and grounded and able to trust Him to see us through.

Now my maintenance goals are two-fold; one a new goal to strive for, the other an existing goal to put renewed effort towards. May I persevere in both!

No comments: