Sunday, July 12, 2009

The LIttle Things

The older I get, the more I find that it is little things that make me happy and give me a light heart. Simple things...things that cost little to nothing. Things like the warm bodies of my children coming to snuggle in bed with me in the morning. My husband smiling at me. The look of our property when it has been freshly mowed. Clear, uncluttered living spaces. Having the ability to clean up from dinner in 10 minutes or less thanks to my handy new dishwasher (That did cost a little money, but it has been almost 7 years since I had that luxury). An extra hot cup of coffee with the perfect balance of cream and sugar. A great worship song that lifts your heart to God. Entering my kids room to find them sharing the space, each quietly and contentedly reading books. Snuggling next to my husband after a full day. Snapping a photo at just the right moment...

I'm sure I could continue my list of little things for a while, but you get the idea. Even when the days are long and trying there are still little joys to be found if you open your heart and watch for them. May each person reading this post have a LONG list of little joys today!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I have to add an unexpected visit from one's oldest and dearest friends to that list!

Julianna Lawson said...

This is such a healing look on life, isn't it? If you get a minute, check out the link on my blogspot to A Holy Experience. She has a neat exercise called "One Thousand Gifts" that reminds me of what you've done. Thank you for your list!