Sunday, March 7, 2010

Solo Weekend

When it comes to facing the weekend without one's spouse, I am willing to bet most people would fall into one of two catagories: those who don't like it because they end up feeling a little (or a lot) lost, and those who look forward to it because they invision sole posession of the remote and absolute authority when it comes to meal time.

I am almost done with a solo weekend myself, and I am relieved tomorrow is reunion day with my spouse. I tried to face the weekend with gusto...renting chick flicks and having a hot chocolate/popcorn/movie marathon. But I have to confess, it was lack lustre. You see, I am used to his job taking him away for a certain amount of time, so I don't feel terribly lost. The first day. But by the second day, well, I am one of those who feels just a little lost. And a LOT lonely.

I made sure to infuse my weekend with people and interaction to help combat that. It did help. I had a chat with my mother-in-law, went to church, and had a fun afternoon attending a birthday party for my friend's daughter. Yet there is a certain gap when the person who walks beside you through life is absent. It reminds you what a special thing it is to be known by someone. What security there is in sharing a daily commitment. And how it should never be taken for granted. Not for a day...or a long weekend :)

No comments: