Thursday, March 11, 2010

A LONG Time Ago...

I subbed at one of the elementary schools today. The first activity on the schedule was for me to work with a fourth grade boy who was preparing to read to kindergarten students. He practiced reading outloud for me, and then I accompanied him to the kindergarten classroom, where a group of four little ones were chosen to hear the story.

The fourth grader lead them (with a solemn air of maturity) out the door and down the hall to the designated reading area. The four kindergarteners bustled and bumped until they settled down in a close group, eager to listen; while the older boy settled off to the side, obviously pleased to be in charge and feeling oh so grown up! He took a deep breath, and with a great air of authority, read the title and author of the book. Then spying a golden award sticker with the year 2003 boldly written across it, he added a sudden improvisation, "and it was made in 2003." (Now, I knew this wasn't necessarily true. Just because it earned an award in 2003, doesn't mean it was written and published that same year. I did not speak up and correct him, however, because I didn't want to spoil his moment of glory!) I cocked my eyebrow at this new piece of information, and quietly waited for him to open the book and begin. But he did not...not before he offered one more insight from his nine years of vast wisdom:

"It was made in 2003," he said, and looking seriously at the faces before him, he added , "and that was a long time ago. A REALLY LONG time ago." 

Then he opened the book, and began his narrative.

And so I began my day at work - charmingly entertained - and chuckling over the fact that what was so long ago to him, was practically yesterday to me!

No comments: