Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Mail


I don't know about you, but a bit of my inner child comes out each day as I approach our mailbox to see what has arrived. I can't help but feel a stirring of anticipation as I crack the door and peer inside the sturdy black box that waits so patiently in front of our home. "What will I find today?" I wonder. I can't deny the whispered hope that perhaps I will find something unexpected...like a note from a friend or a surprise check made out to our family. (Hey...a girl can dream, right?!?) And as my hands pull out the bundle, my eyes quickly scan the postmarks and size of envelopes, able to discern the routine, obligatory mail from years of experience.

More often than not, our mailbox holds the UNanticipated type of mail...like bills and circular ads. But occasionally that whispered anticipation is rewarded. Especially this time of year, when families and friends exchange greetings for the Christmas season. I think it is one of the things that makes the holidays fun. No one can resist a handwritten envelope with festive postage! There is a simple joy found in tearing back the flap of paper and discovering the colorful card within. I believe it is a pleasure I'll never outgrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're back! Thank you! Every day I look to see if there is a new story from you. Once again well written.

There is something about mail....... I think we never outgrow the feeling we had as kids when we occasionally got mail and it was sooooooo cool!